Develop computational thinking abilities and the skills needed to code simple computer programmes.
|Computational thinking methods
|Starting to code
|Building using code
|Test, debug and release
Main learning outcomes
Successful candidates will be able to plan and create simple programmes. The computational thinking skills developed in this module are transferrable to other types of role. After passing this module, candidates will feel confident analysing problems and writing, testing, and modifying algorithms. They will be able to:
- understand key concepts in computing and the typical activities involved in creating programmes
- recognise and use computation thinking techniques such as problem decomposition and pattern recognition
- identify problems and develop solutions
- write and build with code
- apply project management methodologies such as test, debug, and release
Why certify with ICDL?
- ICDL certification is internationally recognised by employers and institutions.
- ICDL modules are developed with input from computer users, subject matter experts, and practising professionals from all over the world.
- The regularly updated syllabus content reflects day-to-day tasks and responsibilities typical of job roles.
- ICDL modules focus on skills acquisition as well as an understanding of concepts.
- ICDL syllabus content is vendor-independent so that skills and knowledge are transferable.
- ICDL has rigorous Quality Assurance Standards (QAS) and regular quality audits are conducted internally and externally.
The detailed syllabus for the Coding Principles module is publicly available, so that there is complete clarity about what is covered.
The syllabus document, which sets out the specific skills and knowledge that you will learn and against which you will be certified, can be downloaded here.
ICDL Professional Modules
If you are an individual wishing to get ICDL certified, first step is to find an ICDL Accredited Test Centre near you.
Offer ICDL at your Institution or Organisation
If you are interested in offering ICDL to students, candidates, clients or employees or if you are considering partnering with ICDL for a project or initiative, click on the appropriate button below.