Computer and Online Essentials
Develop essential skills to use a computer and operate online effectively.
|Computers and devices
|Managing files and applications
Main learning outcomes
Successful candidates will be able to use a computer and operate effectively online. After passing
this module, candidates will feel confident using computers in the workplace, understanding the key concepts around computers, communication and security and safety online. They will be able to:
- Understand key concepts and carry out key activities relating to hardware and software
- Manage files and folders, store data, and manage applications
- Understand network concepts, and connect to a network
- Find and manage online information effectively, and manage browser settings
- Understand considerations relating to the effective use of common communication tools
- Send, receive, and manage emails, and use calendars.
- Understand potential threats and ways to protect computers, devices, and data.
Why certify with ICDL?
- ICDL certification is internationally recognised by employers and institutions.
- ICDL modules are developed with input from computer users, subject matter experts, and practising professionals from all over the world.
- The regularly updated syllabus content reflects day-to-day tasks and responsibilities typical of job roles.
- ICDL modules focus on skills acquisition as well as an understanding of concepts.
- ICDL syllabus content is vendor-independent so that skills and knowledge are transferable.
- ICDL has rigorous Quality Assurance Standards (QAS) and regular quality audits are conducted internally and externally.
The detailed syllabus for the Computer & Online Essentials module is publicly available, so that there is complete clarity about what is covered.
The syllabus document, which sets out the specific skills and knowledge that you will learn and against which you will be certified, can be downloaded here.
ICDL Workforce Modules
If you are an individual wishing to get ICDL certified, first step is to find an ICDL Accredited Test Centre near you.
Offer ICDL at your Institution or Organisation
If you are interested in offering ICDL to students, candidates, clients or employees or if you are considering partnering with ICDL for a project or initiative, click on the appropriate button below.